Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Five Love Languages

So, a while ago, I read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. The book explains that there are as the title describes, five basic ways love can be expressed and received. They are as follows:
  • Physical Touch
  • Gifts
  • Quality Time
  • Acts of Service
  • Words
So for a long time, I was convinced that my love language was gifts, mainly because of something my mom had told me about when I was younger. But somehow, that didn't feel right. Maybe it was because I just didn't want it to be, but I discovered recently what my love language truly is. I just kind of wish I'd figured it out differently. My love language is Quality Time. The reason I know? I feel close to people when I am near them. The more time I spend with people, the more I feel loved by them. But that's not how I figured it out. See, I read in the book something that I hadn't thought about til recently: When those with Quality Time as their primary love language have plans cancelled on them, it can be devastating. I thought about that when recently I had someone cancel plans after getting sick. Now, while in my head, I knew they had a perfectly legitimate reason to cancel, I still felt horrible after finding out. It was then that all the pieces fell together. For example, I have separation anxiety, which is likely a result from my love language. The fact that some of my closest friends are leaving for college, I think I finally understand why I have been having such a hard time coping with that. I'm afraid of the lack of quality time. It's the reason summers depress me more than winter, the lack of quality time with my friends.

With Love,
PolarBearMoose <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment